
I may be a bit slow on the uptake of this, but ASOS have released a new range under ASOS AFRICA, featuring some very on-trend pieces in bold tribal prints. Their pieces make me want to go back to Tanzania!



The material (which are usually sold as a piece called a khanga) is sourced and made in Africa (Kenya and Tanzania), and their tailors in Kenya are being paid fairly.
And they'd better be paid fairly considering that my favourite piece of the lot costs £75! While I was in Tanzania I had a tailor made traditional outfit made for me and cost me TSH 21000, which is the equivalent of £10.19. I'm wary that they haven't got the Fairtrade brand on it yet. If they really are being paid fairly, I would definitely recommend you to buy yourself a little piece of Africa :)
It's given me some inspriation though, since I was given a khanga as a gift and I haven't used it for anything yet. I could quite easily whip up something similar of my own now that I have a few ideas (with the help of my mum of course :p).
You can look at the ASOS AFRICA range here.
PS! Me getting fitted in a khanga shop!
And the resulting dress:
ASOS AFRICA!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
//mimi ni //i am
- Aimi
- A girl who's in love with the moon. British in nature, Malaysian in origin, and sunny in disposition. Enjoys the beauty of uncertainty, but cannot wait for the future to start.
//birdie told me
//Things I would very much like
The Edible Garden:

A book that tells dumb people like me how to grow things. I have missed having a garden - I forgot how nice it is to eat things that you didn't have to buy.
The Abominable Charles Christopher - Book One:

The first collection of the webcomic drawn by Karl Kerschl. I met Karl in November (?) and he's a really nice guy, who draws really amazing comics.
(hint hint (",) )

A book that tells dumb people like me how to grow things. I have missed having a garden - I forgot how nice it is to eat things that you didn't have to buy.
The Abominable Charles Christopher - Book One:
The first collection of the webcomic drawn by Karl Kerschl. I met Karl in November (?) and he's a really nice guy, who draws really amazing comics.
(hint hint (",) )
//rafiki //friend
//mbuzi //goats
//piga picha //photo
#1708 feat. Lady GaGa
Sources: images lady-gaga.net/gallery;
zebra print extremerainbow@devart;
fonts various;
lyrics The Fame - Lady Gaga
Sources: images lady-gaga.net/gallery;
zebra print extremerainbow@devart;
fonts various;
lyrics The Fame - Lady Gaga


0 comments:
Post a Comment